The Bachelor of Music in Music Composition is a professional degree preparing qualified students for work in the music industry and/or graduate study. The program provides three years of applied lessons in a primary instrument and three years of intensive study in composition, during which students participate in weekly seminars that focus on analysis and the evaluation of undergraduate compositions. The program includes a strong foundation in music theory and music history. Performance of contemporary music is emphasized. The four years of study culminates with a composition recital that presents a multi-movement or large-form composition for an ensemble. Composition majors are also required to perform recitals in their applied area (vocal or instrumental).
Applicants are required to audition for admission into this program.
Official Declaration of Major
Students must interview with the music composition faculty at the end of the first year of music study and maintain a grade of B or better in all music theory and aural skills in order to be admitted to and remain in the composition program. Full acceptance to the program requires a jury before the composition faculty in which works written as part of the second year composition class are presented for consideration.
Additional Student Resources
- UGA Bulletin - Outlines BM in Music Composition degree and university-wide requirements
- Franklin College Requirements - Music Composition students are required to fulfill all of the Franklin College requirements.
- Sample Degree Plan
- Composition & Theory Workshop
- Student Organizations
- Academic Advising - All Music Composition majors, including double majors, are required to meet with a music advisor each semester.
- UGA Student Handbook - Essential information for all UGA students
- DegreeWorks - Our degree audit portal for enrolled students
- Athena - UGA portal for the university-wide application, current course listings, and class registration
- SAGE - Allows students and advisors to schedule appointments
- UGAMail - Official UGA email system
- eLC - UGA online learning management system