The program of study leading to the degree Bachelor of Music with a major in Music Education is designed to prepare the student for a career in teaching grades K-12 in all areas - general, choral, and instrumental - or to continue study at the graduate level. It provides a broad base of general studies, applied music, music theory, and music history and literature. Professional course work and an internship are offered in the third and fourth year of study. Students completing the program are recommended for certification to teach music in the public school systems of Georgia. Students may elect to specialize as follows: Choral Music Education with a concentration in voice; Choral Music Education with a concentration in piano; Instrumental Music Education with a concentration in piano; or Instrumental Music Education with a concentration in a band or orchestral instrument. With additional study, the degree may be earned with more than one area of emphasis. The comprehensive structure of the program allows for continued study at the graduate level in any area of music.
Completion of the Bachelor of Music in Music Education degree leads to P-12 certification in the State of Georgia, which shares reciprocity with other states. This degree is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM), and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). The degree includes completing the education major requirements, extensive coursework in musical preparation, and successfully completing the edTPA portfolio review.
Official Declaration of Major and Retention Policy
Students are admitted to the Music Education major at the end of the sophomore year. Completion of Area VI, a passing grade on the piano proficiency examination, and a successful interview with members of the music education faculty are required for admission to the program. A GPA of 2.8 or higher must be maintained for this major. For more details concerning this policy please see here.
Prospective music education students must:
- Complete and return this application to email@example.com for processing
- Schedule a music education interview through this portal.
Additional Student Resources
- For details concerning the BMUS in Music Education degree, please see our UGA Bulletin, which outlines music major and university-wide requirements.
- For information concerning Franklin College requirements, please see here. Please note: Music Education students are only required to fulfill the Franklin College Multicultural requirement. For guidance on how you can incorporate that into your curriculum core, please contact your music academic advisor.
- For a suggested matriculation summary, click here.
- To inquire after workshops, professional development, and other hands-on experiences, please visit here.
- Study Music Abroad in Italy Program
- Music Admissions Process
- Field Experience and Clinical Practice Requirements
- Guidance For Teacher Candidates: Forms, Credentials